Muirfield is home to one of the oldest golf clubs in the world, the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, and is one of Scotland's 5 current (if you include Turnberry) Open Championship venues. Muirfield is a challenging links, a prestigious and historic venue, and on many visiting golfers' list of courses to play in Scotland.
Muirfield has a reputation as being a difficult course for visiting golfers to secure tee-times. This is not strictly true. It is true that there are very limited visitor times, and it is true that there is a handicap limit (recently increased from 18 to 24), but the actual booking process is quite straightforward. You just need to plan well ahead.
The key facts:
- Visitor times are available on Tuesday and Thursday mornings only.
- Bookings open in March the year before play – for the whole of the following year.
- For 2023 tee-times bookings open at 9:30 am UK time, Wednesday 16 March 2022.
- Muirfield bookings are only accepted for a complete tee-time for four golfers.
- Visiting golfers must have a handicap of 24 or less, both men and women.
- The Muirfield website has a visitor booking page with a calendar clearly showing availability. Select your preferred date and a drop down will appear showing available times for that day, if there are any.
- Note that some times may be reserved for those playing a 36 hole day (see more below), some for 18 holes only.
- Simply click on 'Apply' for your chosen time and follow through and complete the Visitor booking form.
Please note that your time is not allocated until you receive a response from the club and the tee-time is only confirmed once payment is made in full for all golfers. Refunds are only issued if the club can re-sell the times.
It is a very good idea to read fully the Visitor Notes of Guidance provided on the Muirfield website. Muirfield prides itself on long standing traditions and the Notes of Guidance will avoid potential embarrassment for visitors who are not familiar with the club and clubhouse.
If you wish to play a 36 hole day the afternoon round must be in foursomes (alternate shot) format. The fourball format is reser 3ved for visitor morning rounds. Members of the Club generally play in two ball matches, either singles or foursomes.
If you are less than 4 golfers Ginger Beer Golf Travel now offer a Muirfield Booking Buddy service.
Residents at the neighbouring Greywalls Hotel have access to a limited number of times on Muirfield on certain Mondays and Fridays in high season, which must be booked in advance. These tee-times come as part of a 2 night package at Greywalls and golfers booking this way do not have access to the clubhouse at Muirfield.
It is important to highlight that no other Scottish course accepts bookings as far ahead as Muirfield – it is therefore not possible to line up all the golf days on your trip before committing to paying for your times at Muirfield. Keep this in mind, along with the refunds policy, when you make your plans.
Some small print:
This post was updated on 27 February to include the 4 golfer booking minimum and information on the Ginger Beer Muirfield Booking Buddy service.
Published: 16 February 2022